This fireback is thought to have been cast at Pine Grove furnace between the years 1770 and 1780. Located in south central Pennsylvania, Pine Grove Furnace was built in 1770 by Robert Thornburg and John Arthur. Now a state park and historic site, Pine Grove Furnace operated until 1864.
The classical urn and flower motif was one of the most popular ornamentations for firebacks in late eighteenth century America. The addition of the bird in the foliage was less common.
• Reproduction Fireback by J. Del Conner ©JDC 1993
• Cast Iron, Made by hand in the USA
• 21" wide, 25.75" high, 61 pounds
• First introduced in 1993
6 of 7